The origin of the Musical Society "La Artística" dates back to the last century, specifically its founding act dates from May 1, 1883. At that time, the different musical groups that existed in the town were dissolved. D. Idelfonso Carrascosa considered that, as the arrival of the railway to Buñol was close, it was necessary to regroup the scattered musicians to form a music band, which under the name "Música de Buñol", would liven up both that historic moment and the acts of any kind that could be produce in the population (holidays, religious, etc.)
Five years later, in 1888, the segregation of a group of musicians took place. Those who remained, with the new name of "La Lira", are the ones who transmitted that musical torch that was lit a few years before, until it reached what is today "La Artística". This denomination comes from the decade of the twenties when, under the direction of D. Francisco García Ballester, this group became a musical society.
The members of this society are known by the familiar and affectionate name of "Los Feos". Remember that the beginnings of "La Artística" were the followers of Francisco García, nicknamed "el Feo", a blacksmith by profession and a great promoter of the music band, a legacy that those who have succeeded him have proudly collected.
At that time the band rehearsed in the entrances of the houses of those followers, as well as in "Paco el Feo" blacksmith shop, which they ceded unconditionally. On some occasions, it was even necessary to bring the chairs for private use for rehearsals. The performances, when they were not outdoors, were made by renting a theater that was in the town.
In successive stages, the location of the rehearsal venue was changed, until a house was acquired, and transformed into the "Rosales" Social Club, with a bar and a room in which to rehearse. Over time and after acquiring the adjacent houses, it has been possible to build the School of Music and Dance of the society.
Likewise, at the beginning of the fifties, a plot of land (which was a hill) was acquired and under the direction of the architect José Jiménez Cusí, by force of arms, carts, and baskets, hundreds of cubic meters of earth and stone were emptied. until once flattened, a theater was able to be built on top of it in which to offer concerts in a dignified manner and which, at the same time, could be used as a commercial movie theater.
This building, called Teatro-Cine Montecarlo, is the pride of almost 2000 members and was built based on their voluntary contributions of work or money, only took approximately three years to build. It was inaugurated on April 10, 1953, and continues to fulfill the purposes for which it was built.
The theater has a capacity of 1,000 seats and has welcomed the most varied personalities and artistic entities in performance, not only nationally but also internationally, such as Mr. José Iturbi, RTVE Symphony Orchestra, Valencia Municipal Band and Orchestra, Orquesta Berlin Symphony (former GDR), the Connecticut String Orchestra (USA), Bilbao Symphony Orchestra and D. Joaquín Rodrigo. It has been the headquarters of the Youth Orchestra of the Valencian Community from 1992 to 1999.
Recently, Montecarlo Theater has been remodeled between the years 90 and 93 and meets the latest security conditions. It is one of the few buildings in the town that can be called a monument, not only because of its grandeur, but also because of what it represents for an entire society and a people, as it is the result of the effort of many of the people who come today to it on a regular basis, either to the cinematographic projections or to the theatrical or musical acts that take place there.
It can be defined as a participative society with strong popular roots, whose sole objectives are the dissemination and teaching of music, as well as the cultural and human formation of its members.
This society has been declared of Public Utility by the Council of Ministers on October 25, 1982, and since September of the same year, H.M. King Juan Carlos I accepted for his son S.A.R. D. Felipe de Borbón, "Prince of Asturias", the appointment of honorary president of the same.
On February 2, this musical society received official confirmation from the Palacio de la Zarzuela, sent by the Head of the Royal House, by which Majesty King D. Felipe VI accepted to be its honorary president.